SPRING FEVER BRINGS RUSH OF ACTIVITY ON INTERNET ISSUES
While opening day for Major League Baseball is not until tomorrow, the titans of the Internet have already taken the field. Pitching is President Obama with his announcement of the Consumer Privacy Bill of Rights, while the rest of the lineup consists of
- 3B: Senator Blumenthal (D-CT) who wants to stop Employer “Shoulder Browsing” Applicants’ Facebook accounts;
- SS: FCC Chairman Julius Genachowski who announced new cyber security standards;
- 2B: FTC Chairman Jon Liebowitz who announced new privacy guidelines and is updating dotcom disclosure guidelines;
- 1B: Cal. AG Kamala Harris who announced major deals on mobile privacy and online dating;
- LF: EU Vice President Viviane Reding who introduced a major update of the EU’s privacy directive;
- RF Jerzy Buzek , European Parliament President which will take up the Anti-Counterfiting Trade Agreement; and
- C: Senator Ron Wyden (D-OR) who is seeking to block ACTA.
Each are discussed further below.